Human Resources » Credentialing and Compliance

Credentialing and Compliance

The Human Resources department is responsible for assisting all certificated employees with completing the necessary requirements pertaining to credentialing.  The department ensures that every certificated employee maintains the appropriate authorization (permit, certificate, credential, waiver, etc.) needed for the employees current assignment.

Requirements for Substitute Teachers

Substitutes must have a valid credential or permit prior to beginning in any substitute assignment.


Requirements for:

Requirements for Certificated Employees

Under Education Code 44258.9 the District has the duty of employing a person who holds the appropriate credential established for the position.  Under Education Code 45034 the District and San Joaquin County Office of Education cannot issue any pay warrants for any person employed in a position requiring certification qualifications if such certification is not valid during the time of service. 


The Commission on Teacher Credentialing holds the teacher/certificated employee responsible for completing all renewal requirements and notifying the commission of a change of address.


Under California Code of Regulations Section 80303, the District is obligated to report a change in a credential holder's employment status due to allegations of misconduct to the commission. Under Education Code section 44420, the District shall report to the commission a holder who refuses, without good cause, to fulfill a valid contract of employment. Under Education Code section 44940, the District shall report a mandatory leave of absence offense to the commission.

Requirements for English Learner Authorization

Any teacher assigned to provide EL services, including Designated ELD or Integrated ELD, must hold the appropriate credential or certificate. EL students identified in TK–12 public schools in California are required to receive services designed to meet their linguistic and academic needs, from authorized teachers, based on assessments made by the local educational agency (LEA). State laws do not provide exemptions for a small or particular number of EL students in a class.


It does not matter whether there is one student or all the students in a class requiring English Learner services, the teacher must hold the appropriate basic and English learner authorization.


Requirements for: 

Requirements for Foreign Transcript Evaluations

Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees, and other relevant documents prior to applying to the Commission for a California credential, permit, or certificate. A detailed, course-by-course, foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet any credential requirement, even if the foreign course work has been accepted by a college or university in the United States. The only exception to this is for those individuals applying for an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit, for which a general report is sufficient.


Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by one of the approved organizations listed on this leaflet in order to be accepted by the Commission. These organizations are private enterprises who charge a fee for their services. Individuals seeking a foreign transcript evaluation must follow the procedures outlined by the organization providing the evaluation. In all instances, original, official documentation will be required when requesting the evaluation.


Information on agencies approved by the Commission for Foreign Transcript Evaluation. 

Applying for a Certificate of Clearance

Step by Step Instructions for Applying for a Certificate of Clearance